CME Activities Can Qualify as MIPS Improvement Activities: Here’s How
Did you know that if you participate in CME activities, you could already be on your way to satisfying your Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) requirement? Because MIPS falls under the Quality Payment Program, CME can count towards your MIPS requirement if the activities are designed and executed in alignment with the QPP guidance. As our foundation of instructional design, CME Outfitters activities are designed to meet the requirements as MIPS improvement activities. When you participate in one of activities that is designated as an Improvement Activity, we’ll work with you to make it as straightforward as possible to submit your requirements to CMS.
MIPS has four performance categories, including an Improvement Activity category, of which CME qualifies. The Improvement Activity aspect of MIPS assesses how much you participate in activities that improve clinical practice. Active participation may be different for each activity, but this generally means staying engaged.
Under the Improvement Activity category, clinicians are able to choose from many activities to demonstrate their performance. When using CME to demonstrate performance, here’s what to expect for most activities:
- Meaningful Participation: Actively participate in the CME activity by answering the pre- and posttest questions, audience response questions, and/or ask questions of the faculty.
- Collection and Analysis of Performance Data: CME Outfitters will follow-up with participants via survey approximately 3 months after activity completion to assess the impact of the interventions discussed in this activity as part of the improvement activity requirements.
- CME Provider has a Mechanism for Documentation: CME Outfitters will then provide documentation of the participant’s completion of the requirements for submission as a MIPS Improvement Activity.
In a recent article from EHR Intelligence, 91% of all eligible clinicians participated in MIPS as part of the first year of the Quality Payment Program. So to help you meet your Improvement Activity requirements, CME Outfitters is hard at work creating new courses that will qualify as an Improvement Activity, with the goal that ALL of our courses will be MIPS eligible. Some upcoming CME Outfitters activities that qualify for MIPS include:
- Optimizing Immunosuppression, Precision Medicine, and Big Data: The Required Path for Innovation in Transplantatione>>
- Getting to the Gut of the Matter: Closing the Gaps in Diagnosis, Effective Treatment, and Comprehensive Care in IBS and CIC>>
- Stopping Ulcerative Colitis Progression in its Tract: Combining the Latest Evidence and Engaging Teaching Tools to Improve Patient Outcomes>>
- The 11th Annual Chair Summit: Master Class for Neuroscience Development>>
- The PROMIS of Improved Bone Health in Older Adults
- From Pathways to PROs: Translating the Latest Evidence for Current and Emerging JAK Inhibitors to Clinical Practice
For more information about CME Outfitters’ activities, visit https://www.cmeoutfitters.com/ or call 877.CME.PROS (877.263.7767).
About the Author
Director of Accreditation
CME Outfitters, LLC